Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Can Saving and Debt Co-Exist?

I love spreadsheets.  We have our budget on a spreadsheet with various categories and calculations.  We also have our debts allocated in a spreadsheet with interest calculations and amortization.  I also monitor our investment growth in a spreadsheet.

I like reviewing spreadsheet and manipulating them. 

However, I'm starting to think spreadsheets may not be a good thing.  Can you obsess over a spreadsheet?

I'm constantly flip-flopping between saving money for future expenditures and paying down our debt.  One month, I love making a trade and watching our savings balance grow.  The next, I'm pissed off about our debt level and want to make a double debt payment.  It's a vicious cycle.

I'm content with our plan to save money and pay down debt.  I just wish I could do both more.  We have a pretty substantial amount of investment funds available to us and we also have $5k in an emergency fund.  Our debt payments aren't outrageous right now, mostly because the student loan debt doesn't have a minimum payment due to deferment period.  Our debt to income ratio is about 34%, which is a bit high.

Is this why Dave Ramsey screams about paying off debt first and then saving.  The simplicity of the action.  Perhaps.  However, the accountant in me also understands that my interest rates are low and that the student loan and mortgage interest is tax deductible, which helps alleviate some burden.  However, I still get angry about those debt balances - especially when I look at my spreadsheets!!

Where is the middle ground?  I have a son on the way and desperately want my wife to stay at home.  However, I worry with our debt levels that that is not possible.  On the other hand, without saving more money we may not be able to put 20% down on our dream home, which would be worse.

Perhaps I should get a 2nd job....

No comments:

Post a Comment