Wednesday, August 15, 2012

New Side Hustle

The Summer is winding down and football camps across the country have started for Elementary School, High School, College, and the Pros.  For the first time in 18 years, I will not be partaking in any Oklahoma Drills or 2-a-days! 

That's the bad news.  I'm decided to put a halt to my coaching career.  I'll have further explanations later on.

However - Here's the Good News!  I passed my Football Referee Entry Exam!!

So, this Saturday, I will suit up for the first time as a High School football referee.  It's not glamorous or prestigious, but it will keep me involved in the sport I love, while padding my pocket a bit.

The Professor was definitely a little skeptical about me refing games and being gone all weekend, but then I told her that College referees can make up to $2k a game and she immediately liked the idea!  Ha.  My take home will be much less for a few years as I do JV High School and grade school games.  Still, $50 a game or $100 a day isn't anything to whine about.

Besides, I love Football.  I enjoy being around the game and understanding it better, especially at the youth level.  It's fun.  I hope to one day officiate college games just for the accomplishment and enjoyment, but for now, a chance to be around competitive football, good people, and make some money sounds promising to me.

Hopefully I'll be back under the Friday Night Lights sooner rather than later!!

Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment