Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Can I Get a Timeout!

Side Hustle Update:
I joined the luxurious ranks of High School Football officiating!  Now I'm the guy throwing the flag, blowing the whistle, and getting heckled by fans.  It's really interesting!



I officiated my first game last weekend.  It was a JV game between two local high schools.  It wasn't the Super Bowl, but the experience was a lot of fun.  I got to throw my flag early in game when I noticed an illegal formation.  I was proud to have noticed that.

The execution of a referee (or line judge) is tough.  I was surprised how much goes on in a short period and how much I was responsible for.  Not only does a referee need to be able to follow the play, but he must monitor the action for any illegal activity.  Then, he must make the proper hand signal, blow the whistle and spot the ball.  I started to find my rhythm later in the game, but will admit that it was not easy to keep everything in check. 

For my services, I received $50.  Not bad for 2 hours on a Saturday morning.  However, so far, I'm still in the whole for the cost of joining a chapter and purchasing the uniform.  Tough first time expenditures.  I've spent $314 so far getting set up, but have recovered $90 from 2 games.  More games are to come to.

I've enjoyed my experience officiating so far, but do miss coaching.  I had to hold myself back a couple times during the game from offering advice to players or making a comment to the coaches.  I guess it's in my blood.  However, I'm excited to continue refereeing and grow in this business.  I understand the game and believe that that is half the battle for an official.  I could see myself on Friday nights very soon and possibly get into local collegiate football as well.  It's a great way to follow the game.  Plus, I had no idea how much some officials will run over the course of a game!!  I was sweating!

We'll keep tracking our Side Hustle progress and I'll post a synopsis later this year on all our supplemental earnings!  It's amazing how well we've done outside of our day-to-day jobs!

No comments:

Post a Comment