Thursday, March 29, 2012

Goal III - VIP Lounge

The next two goals are 3a and 3b.  I want to join the Duquesne Club.  I also want to develop a decent golf handicap (around 12) by the time I'm 32.

I say they go hand in hand because they both pretty much involve joining some type of private club.  I guess I wouldn't have to join a golf club like VB or EW or DR in order to develop a handicap, but it would be incredible difficult and expensive to bounce to different public courses all the time to play enough.  Plus, a normal 4 and half hour round would easily turn into 6 hours on a public course on a weekend.

Why do I want to join those clubs?  It's not just because our parents did.  However, I do remember going as a child and feeling apart of something special.  It was a treat to go to dinner at the club, much fancier than just Applebee's or wherever.  I want that feeling that I belong.  That I've been successful in my life.

Also, I want to establish a handicap so that I can play with anyone.  And so I can beat my dad.  I can already outdrive him by a long shot, but the work around the greens needs a lot of work.  That will only improve by playing more.  Plus, I want to play with the Prof's dad, Doug, Kevin, Josh.  I don't want to beat them or be a scratch golfer, but I want to play and not top the ball or lose 5 balls a round.  Just hit good shots, some great, some not - shoot in the 70s once, mostly 80s, an occasional 90 when things go really bad.

Also, as I venture outside the cube, I want to associate with successful people.  I want people to notice me for something more than just the son, or son-in-law.

Lastly, the Prof would really like it.  She'll never play golf, but she'd love a place to meet for lunch or a pool to go to with the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment