Tuesday, April 24, 2012

To Tithe

For whatever reason, April is a very philanthropic month.  For three weekends in a row, the Prof and I were supposed  to have some type of fund-raising event to go to.  Ultimately, there will be only 2 as 1 event was cancelled due to the Penguins.  However, these events have gotten thinking about what it means to be wealthy and why I want to abstain from debt.

Some PF managers will say that the Bible says we are to tithe 10% of our income.  Others that we should do what we are able.  Lastly, some may choose to give it all away.  I'm not sure where I fall right now.  I feel blessed to have such giving parents and also want to do our part to help those less fortunate.  I wish I could do more.  However, between time and money, I feel that the Mrs. and I are extremely giving people.  As a teacher, she spends a crazy amount of time thinking/planning/helping her students grow from a less fortunate upbringing to hopefully a meaningful, productive life.

As a coach, my time is given to my players to help them become better athletes and men.  I also look for points in the game which will influence beyond the basketball court.

It's hard to quantify into dollars the time the Prof and I have given, but I'm glad we do it.  I love that she is a giving person.  I look forward to the days when we can raise our hand for the $25k donations.  That's why I'm so driven to excel and perform in my job and at school.  As our wealth grows, the better situation our children will be in, and the better we can help others. 

I do believe D. Ramsey when he talks about getting rid of debt in order to save more, give more, and live more.

No comments:

Post a Comment