Monday, April 30, 2012

Grocery Debate 2012

So, on Saturday, I sat down to compare our last three trips to the grocery store to see if there were any potential savings that we were missing.  Within the last month or so, we've gone to three different grocery stores near us, so I thought I had a reasonable sample size to do adequate comparison.

I was wrong.

The Professor has been on a health kick the past month or so.  Normally, I am all for this and am actually very happy that we live healthy and active lives.  However, since she did the grocery shopping for Shop n Save ("SnS"), the sample was incomplete because a lot of normal items were not purchased during that trip.  Also, she somehow managed to spend the same amount of money we usually do without purchasing any meat or dinner options.  Vegetables, Fruit, and party appetizers are very expensive!!  Perhaps its a good thing that I do the grocery shopping! 

Anyway - I shopped at Giant Eagle ("GE") and Bottom Dollar ("BD").  From what I am able to tell, there is actually very little difference between GE and SnS.  Bananas were priced $0.01 different, but Oranges were $3.00 different, which I am chalking up to volume difference.  Chicken Breasts were nearly identical and milk was the exact same.  Bread was only $0.10 different between the two.  So, although there may be potential savings based upon sales that week, for the most part the necessities are very similar.

Bottom Dollar is definitely the cheapest option of the three.  They held similar price points for fruits and vegetables, but created tremendous value in boxed items such as granola bars, oatmeal, and Lean Pockets.  In addition, Bottom Dollar had tremendous value in toiletry items such as deodorant and toilet paper.  I am indifferent when it comes to quality at Bottom Dollar, especially when purchasing boxed snacks or cereals.  Meats are probably best purchased at the Eagle due to premiere quality, but for my ham and turkey sandwiches, I think the deli options at BD can suffice.

The only downfall for BD is the lack of gas points cross-promotion.  At GE, I earn a % of my gas at GetGo.  At SnS, I earn a $ of gas at Sunoco.  The Professor and I regularly use both those gas stations, so I'll have to figure out whether the savings at BD offset the savings from Gas.  For now, BD will get my business again. 

The flower options are bested by SnS.  They last over 2 weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment