Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Educational Degrees of Separation

It's funny how the value of an education can be so different for different people.  Take the following three examples:

Sibling A:  Graduated from a superior University with a Bachelor's in Science and then went and got a PhD from a highly regarded research facility.  Wrote a post-doctorate thesis that had a title longer than some books I've read!  He is living a extremely happy life in Utah researching and doing what he loves.  He earns $40k a year.

Sibling B:  Graduated from the same University with a Bachelor's in History and Psychology, then received a Master's in Education.  Currently working as a teacher in the inner-city charter school system making $49k.

Sibling C:  Graduated from the same University with a Bachelor's of Arts degree.  He decided to forego Graduate or Law School and is entering the business environment as a Consultant.  He'll be making $60k.

It's interesting that the most educationally regarded, is earning the least, while the least educated will be earnign the most.  Obviously, the chosen professional work has a lot to do with it as consultants are well paid for lifestyle they lead.  Research professionals are not paid as much unless they find the cure the cancer.  I just think it's this is an interesting look at what society values and what we should be thinking about as National Student Loan Debt approaches or passes $1 Trillion.

Luckily, the siblings in this example graduated debt free, so they were able to think about their careers and the life that would provide the most enjoyment.  However, many people do not have this luxury.  Which is why I think that it is important to talk about a career after college with kids.  It may be tough for a 18 or 19 year old person to think about the rest of their life, but it's irresponsible for a child to take out $50k to $100k loans just to go to college, receive a philosophy degree and then have ZERO idea what to do afterwards.  As much as college has become the next step for nearly every student, Americans need to stop treating it as a 4 year vacation from the real world and bring it back to real preparation for a future.

I hope to be able to pay for my kids college education, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay for them unless they are willing to work for it and have a life path.  College is fun and should be enjoyed - but the preparation must be there or it's a wasted investment.  Did I get an Accounting degree because I love it?  No.  I knew that a job would be waiting for me and it provided an entrance into the business environment I both enjoyed and did well in.  It would have been foolish of me to graduate with a Math degree even though I've always excelled in Math classes throughout my life.  What substance would that have provided? 

No comments:

Post a Comment