Thursday, May 17, 2012

Life's Little Roadblocks

So, I mentioned earlier that the Professor and I sold her car a few weeks ago.  Well, the pain of being a single car family and sharing a car for the first time in our adult lives has reared its ugly head.

First, on Sunday, we celebrated Mother's Day with BOTH mothers and families at my parents home.  A gerat idea and saved us from having to drive back and forth for dinner/dessert (the pain of Professor being the only child in the area).  However, my father and brothers asked me to go golfing in the early afternoon.  So, I drove out to PTHS and back home, then back towards VBCC and almost drove home to pick up my wife and return.  A lot of driving.  Professor's parents were gracious to pick her up and bring her to my parents in order to save one trip, but still an inconvenience to be dependent on someone else.

Then on Tuesday evening, while I'm on the bus to class, the Professor calls and tells me that she walked outside to flat tire on our Sonata!  So, her planned trip to yoga had to be cancelled as she waited for AAA and then had to take it to NTB.  Again, a major annoyance to be stuck because of only having one car.  Now, if we had two cars we could not have avoided the cost of the tire or the trip to NTB, but it could have been done on our time, and lessesed the inconvenience.

Sidebar:  Tires are expensive.  I've now purchased two new tires in less than a month and it just amazes me how pricey they can get.  I'm scared to think what the cost will be once we purchase a SVU later this year.  I'm thinking $200 minimum for one tire.  Good thing I have plenty of buffer built in around our budget - these one time expenses killed the car savings this month, but won't put us in a hole!

The Professor is also very savvy.  She complained about blowing out 3 tires in less than a year and received a $30 discount on the tire!!  They won't take advantage of that blonde again!!

Anyway, we both knew only having one car could create some headaches as we adjusted to it.  We'll both have to plan things well and be mindful of the other person.  Like, in two weeks, I know that Professor needs the car all day to take her National Boards!!  I'm already thinking of house projects I need to get to (light fixtures anyone?).  However, the savings will definitely be worth it when we purchase the Professor's new SVU and don't have to worry about crazy interest payments!  Car payments are not "good" debt.  The value of the car will NEVER increase and always decreases throughout the life of the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment