Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Housing Projects

Happy Memorial Day! 

I realize I am a day late, but I wanted to get it out there because I had such an interesting few days.  The three day weekend was a great re-charge and thoroughly enjoyed by the Professor and I. 

However, there was one moment that bears discussing.

Our house does not have Central Air.  We use window units to attempt to keep the house cool during the summer.  However, on Saturday, it was 90 degrees and humid.  The AC units were not doing a very effective job.  The Professor was NOT happy. 

The trouble isn't sleeping or lounging around the house.  It's when she is getting ready and moving from bedroom to bathroom to TV room.  The circulation isn't great in the hallways and the upstairs is always hotter than the downstairs.  So - Meltdown insued!

Which brings me to our dilemma?  We obviously don't plan on living in our current house forever, but how much should we invest in it while we live in it.  Off the top of my head the projects that COULD be undertaken are:

1.  Renovate the Basement.  A major project which would include drywalling, installing ceiling, renovating a bathroom, and adjusting electricity (knob and tube wiring).  However, we would be likely to recoup the investment upon sale as it would be a major improvement to the single family home.

2.  Installing Central Air.  Having an estimate done this week.  Not sure the ROI would be worth it, but it would exponentially increase our (wife's) happiness levels.

3.  New Windows.  Most of the windows have already been put in place, but many in the Sun Room could be replaced.  This job isn't a high priority and would only happen with major lottery winnings.

Now - we've already updated the kitchen and done some pretty sweet landscaping.  My hesitation is around 1) ROI and 2) necessity.  I worry that a $10,000 Central Air installation or $30,000 Basement would not recoup the cost and we would not get the proper use out of it if we only live in the house for 2 more years.  We may live in the house for 5 years, but it's not definitive.  Perhaps these amenities would entice us to live in the house longer - even when children are in the picture.  I would not object to it while in the middle of student loan paydown and Net Worth build-up.  If I could get another great deal like we did for the kitchen, I'll seriously consider these projects.  However, I'm still nervous with the new car coming towards the end of year about new debt.  I may need to increase the Side Hustles!

Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment