Monday, June 4, 2012

The Value of Leftovers

Today for lunch I had a Reuben Sandwich.  It was delicious.  It was filling.  It was a day old!

I love leftovers!  It really has very little to do with my frugality!  It has more to do with simplicity.  I love eating quick and easy meals.  I enjoy my lunch at my desk so that I can work out at the gym across the street during my break.  I usually enjoy a small dinner in the evening.  My wife and I both work.  It's a pain to think of and put together a dinner EVERY (or any) night.  I realize there are "30 minutes meals" cookbooks out there - but who has 30 minutes when 60 seconds can be just as simple!

I've discussed already my wife's love of the crockpot.  It's quite possibly the greatest invention since the Internet (the Internet came into my life first).  One of the best part about it is that it makes enough food to last for several days.  So, everytime she starts filling up the crock, I know that my lunch and dinners are set for at least 2 days.  No worrying about making sandwiches in the morning, or if there is enough snacks to fill me up.  I'm good!  In addition - I'm getting a home cooked meal every time! 

Now - I'd be foolish if saving money wasn't at least part of the equation.  However, the food we cook or the restaurant leftovers were already paid for.  So, the savings aren't as large as most PF sites claim.  But, it is nice to think that if we control our grocery costs, that there won't be a multitude of $9 meals to track.  It's one grocery cost.  Again - Simplicity.

It's also interesting how people react when you re-heat something in the workplace.  Some people applaud the creativity and the money saving nature of packing a meal.  Others can't understand how I have time to make the meals or why I do when the building has a cafeteria.  Lastly, some just refuse to eat leftovers (my father-in-law).  I understand all sides.  For me, knowing that I can enjoy a quality meal, without hassle or wait is ideal.

I realize my tastes can change over time and perhaps as my income grows I'll worry less about minor meal costs, but I doubt my enjoyment of leftovers will change.  I believe that some things taste better the next day!  Lasagna.  Thanksgiving Turkey!  Easter Ham!  All taste better the next day!

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment