Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Why I Bought Whole Life Insurance

If you read or follow most personal finance people (Ramsey, Orman, blogs), they will all sell you on the idea of Term Life Insurance.  The baseline logic makes fiscal sense - the monthly premiums are lower and the coverage amount is greater.  Easy financial decision.

WAIT!!

Let's play Devil's Advocate.  I currently own a Whole Life Insurance Policy.  I am in my late (still hate saying that) 20s, never used tobacco, and my family has no history of genetic health problems.  I own a $150k policy for about $2.1k a year, or $176 a month.  I did some research and found that on average, a $1.5 MM Term Life Policy would only cost me ~$60 a month!

I could be saving $116 a month!!  I am so Stupid!!!   Oh wait....

Let's play a little hypothetical game and move to July 2032!  I've been making premiums payments for 20 years at this point.

Whole Life Insurance - After 20 years, I will have paid $42,244.80 in premiums.  Wow.  However, the Cash Value of the policy should be $32,079 (this isn't definitive based upon the markets, but a decent approximation based upon history of agency).  So, after 20 years, the Net Value is $(10,165).

Term Life Insurance - After 20 years, I would have paid $14,400 in premiums.  A difference of $27,844 compared to Whole Life.  Unfortunately, I've managed to live the entire 20 years (HA!  Just as I planned!), so the payouts were never received.  So, the net value of the Term Policy is $(14,400)!  Wait - that's worse than the Whole Life!!  I thought Term Life was great - what gives!!

In addition, the Whole Life policy premiums remain steady at $176/month even as I approach the age of 50!  Which is great! 

Under the Term Life Policy - since I've got kids/marriages/and retirement to think about, I'm going to renew my Term Life Policy.  However, now I'm 48, not 28.  So, I reduce my need in half to $750k.  That brings my monthly premium to $115!!  WHAT???  Oh man.

So, let's recap.  If you are young and can manage some extra payments now - a Whole Life Policy is a MUCH better LONG TERM decision.  The money output is better in the end and the flexibility is greater with the availability to cash out.  Neither is a fool-proof investment tool and should not be treated as such.  It's insurance - the company that offers it needs to make money.  However, when looking for flexibility and long-term gains, I'm sticking with my Whole Life Policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment